gas 2.34 on MacOS

Kevan Hashemi hashemi@brandeis.edu
Thu May 7 14:10:01 GMT 2020

> Thats to be expected since there never was a binutils version 1.38.1.

Thank you Gunther, that explains a few things.

> However, there is a GAS version 1.38.1 and apparently Apple based it
> cctools as on that GAS version. The as sources of the Apple version are
> quite different to the old FSF version.

There are 23 changes made to as.c of GAS 1.38.1 FSF in order to produce the as.c of ctools. The copyright at the top of the ctools as.c is the FSF copyright dated 1987. Am I to assume that Apple edited the code extensively, but did not change the version number announced by the assembler at the command line?

> BTW, old gas and binutils releases are available here:

Thank you. I have the original as.c from the 1991 distribution.

--
Kevan Hashemi, Electrical Engineer
Physics Department, Brandeis University