Questions regarding ld

Dan Ciliske dciliske@netburner.com
Wed Mar 18 17:55:38 GMT 2020

I do a lot of work at the bottom of embedded systems and I keep running
into the same roadblocks that I'm finally asking about. Since space is
often tight in these systems, I was wondering if there are any known
approaches that I'm missing to solving some common problems.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to automatically spill across sections if the
underlying region fills? If not, is there some way after the fact move
part of a Section to another Section that is located in a different Region?
2. With ARM Cortex-M, is there a way to split the ex_tab and exidx
tables into two parts such that they are accessible within the 31 bit
limit imposed by ARM_PREL31? I am well aware of the complex implications
of this question, and realize that this is also partly a question for
the GCC lists.