NOCROSSREF tests

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 11:58:14 GMT 2020

Hi Stephen,

> Is it really necessary to compare the symbol names at all?  The code
> has determined the output section that the reference is coming from
> is prohibited from referring to the section of the symbol in the
> arelent, so it seems to me that it should not be necessary for the
> name to match if the symbol in the arelent is a section symbol.

I think that the symbol comparison is needed to handle the case
where the cross reference is to a global symbol, defined in a
section which is allowed to be referenced, which happens to match
the name of a local symbol defined in a section which should not
be referenced.  At least that is how I read the test for global
vs non-global symbols in the code.