[PATCH users/roland/ld-depfile] ld, gold: Add --dependency-file option.

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 04:43:09 GMT 2020


On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 01:38:44PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 7:01 PM Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Let's be clear on the files we are talking about here.  They are
> > shared libraries that are found in DT_NEEDED entries of other shared
> > libraries that are linked.  Some people have argued that ld should not
> > even be searching for these libraries, ie. that all dependencies
> > should be mentioned on the ld command line.
> 
> I happen to be in that camp.

I also.

>  But I don't think it's relevant one way or the other.
> It's a fact of ld.bfd's behavior that it does read these files.
> That's all that matters.
> The criterion remains the same: all files the linker read while
> producing that output.

You do know that your patch doesn't meet that criterion, don't you?
Not that I'm asking you to meet your own criterion fully, that would
be ridiculous.

I just don't see the utility of reporting as dependencies shared
libraries that won't be loaded by the linker and that can't effect the
final output under anything like normal circumstances.

> I've updated the manual text thusly:

That's good.

-- 
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM


More information about the Binutils mailing list