Tombstone values in debug sections (was: Range lists, zero-length functions, linker gc)

Fangrui Song maskray@google.com
Tue Jun 9 20:24:14 GMT 2020

I want to revive the thread, but focus on whether a tombstone value
(-1/-2) in .debug_* can cause trouble to various DWARF consumers (gdb,
debug related tools in elfutils and other utilities I don't know about).

Paul Robinson has proposed that DWARF v6 should reserve a tombstone
value  (the value a relocation referencing a discarded symbol in a
.debug_* section should be resolved to)
http://www.dwarfstd.org/ShowIssue.php?issue=200609.1

Some comments about the proposal:

> - deduplicating different functions with identical content; GNU refers
>   to this as ICF (Identical Code Folding);

ICF (gold --icf={safe,all}) can cause DW_TAG_subprogram with different DW_AT_name to have the same range.

> - functions with no callers; sometimes called dead-stripping or
>   garbage collection.

--gc-sections can lead to tombstone values. A referenced symbol may be
discarded because its containing sections is garbage collected.

> - functions emitted in COMDAT sections, typically C++ template
>   instantiations or inline functions from a header file;

This can cause either tombstone values (STB_LOCAL) or duplicate DIEs (non-STB_LOCAL).