Rename PowerPC64 pcrel GOT TLS relocations

Bill Schmidt wschmidt@linux.ibm.com
Sun Jun 7 20:39:20 GMT 2020

On 6/7/20 2:17 PM, Fangrui Song wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 11:30 AM Bill Schmidt <wschmidt@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>>> The ELFv2 ABI has been updated to include Power10 related information,
>>> and should be released soon.
>>>
>> ...with the only caveat that "soon" is a matter of some months, just due
>> to the publication process at OpenPOWER Foundation.  A specification
>> document gets a lot of scrutiny and has to go through several foundation
>> committees and a public review period.
>>
>> We're now at the point where we're having internal reviews at IBM to
>> ensure everything we say is what we mean to say, after which I'll be
>> shepherding the document through the publication process. At best guess
>> from prior experience, the final document should be available in the
>> autumn.  The public review period will probably get started in 2-3
>> months, at which point you can use the review document as reference for
>> the relocations.  Meantime the source code serves as intent.
>>
>> Bureaucracy and process... but ultimately it does help with the quality
>> of the document.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill
> Bill, thanks for the information.
>
> A follow-up question: how can I subscribe to the updates when the
> public review period starts? I registered an account on
> openpowerfoundation.org a while ago. Now I clicked
> https://members.openpowerfoundation.org/wg/OPF/document/search?q=64-bit+elf&yt2=Search
> , searched for "64-bit elf", and I got "Power Architecture 64-Bit ELF
> V2 ABI Specification.pdf" posted on Monday, August 24, 2015, 8:47 AM,
> which is older than the 2017 version. This version is probably
> irrelevant. A bit wrestling with the website gave me
> https://members.openpowerfoundation.org/wg/OPF/mail/thread/8117 ,
> which says
>
> Click here to submit a comment or subscribe to the comment email
> distribution list for the 64-Bit ELF V2 ABI Specification: Power
> Architecture:

> This seems to be more promising. So I sent an email to this address
> with "subscribe" in the subject, but I haven't received a confirmation
> email yet. How can I know whether I am subscribed? Additionally, if
> this is a mailing list (probably private), can a user with an account
> on openpowerfoundation.org browse the archive? Thanks.

Subscribing was correct -- I see your request out there.  I am now
desperately hunting for my moderator password...  I'll get this taken
care of, but I might need to get a new moderator password set up first.
The traffic volume was apparently too low for this to stick in my mind.
I apologize for my poor organization.  Anyway, it should take effect
soon, and there will be an announcement on the mailing list when the
document enters the public review period.

I think you'll be able to see the archive, but I can't answer that with
authority until I sort out my authentication issue. Apologies!

Bill