Auto update ChangeLog for binutils+gdb commits?

Martin Liška mliska@suse.cz
Mon Jun 1 07:51:22 GMT 2020

On 5/30/20 9:41 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:
>>> Could you run it on some recent gdb commits and show the output?
>
> I tried it out a little as well.
>
> It seems promising.  However, I noticed some issues.
>
> First, in the basic output:
>
> Martin> 	* gdb/Makefile.in:
>
> It would be more convenient for editing if the ":" were followed by a
> space, since I'm normally going to have to add one anyway.

Yes, that would be very easy to add.

> Next, try it like:
>
> $ git show af0b2a3e85df9f49a3528e5b7578fcf9412f1acc | ./contrib/mklog.py
>
> I get:
>
>      gdb/ChangeLog:
>
>              * ChangeLog:
>              * dwarf2/abbrev.c (hash_abbrev):
>              (abbrev_table::add_abbrev):
>              (struct abbrev_info):
>              (abbrev_table::lookup_abbrev):
>              (abbrev_table::read):
>              * dwarf2/abbrev.h (GDB_DWARF2_ABBREV_H):
>              (struct abbrev_table):
>
> abbrev.c says:
>
>              (struct abbrev_info):
>
> ... but I didn't see anything that would be relevant in the patch.
>
> abbrev.h says:
>
>              * dwarf2/abbrev.h (GDB_DWARF2_ABBREV_H):
>
> ... but this is very incorrect.  In gdb we normally ignore changes to
> the #includes, but if needed I suppose this could mention the addition
> of one; but either way mentioning the include guard name is wrong --
> macros should be ignored unless each preceding line ends with a
> backslash.

You are right, there are limitations, one of the reasons is that GCC
requires a return function type to be on a separate line from function name.

> If you try 89bcba74f89baceba3fa7387622e3d60e1de02e8, you'll see that
> mklog ignores namespaces.

Yes, it's missing right now.

Martin