[SeaBIOS] Re: recent ld built for x86_64 fails to accept 16bit code as input (seabios build)

Paul Menzel pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de
Sat Jul 25 05:46:43 GMT 2020

Dear SeaBIOS and Binutils folks,

Am 13.07.20 um 14:22 schrieb Nick Clifton:

>> I think the main issue is going to be the breaking of existing
>> software builds.
>
> True - but the counter argument is that those builds were relying upon
> a mis-feature of the BFD linker, and so maybe the correct thing to do
> is to fix the builds.
>
>> Also, you mentioned "which will disable the warnings about linking in
>> executable files".  I thought PR 26047 created a fatal error in this
>> situation.  Is the proposed change to make the error a warning or am I
>> missing something?
>
> Sorry - I misstyped.  I meant that the proposed patch would disable
> the fatal error, rather than a simple warning.

The Debian Sid/unstable packages were just updated to the newly released
version 2.35. With that, I am able to build SeaBIOS again, and, as
expected, the two warnings below are shown.

     ld: Using an executable file (out/rom16.strip.o) as input to a link
is deprecated - support is likely to be removed in the future
     ld: Using an executable file (out/rom32seg.strip.o) as input to a
link is deprecated - support is likely to be removed in the future

Thank you everyone involved.

Kind regards,

Paul