Release 2.35 on Friday 24th ?

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 02:13:41 GMT 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 03:51:29PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>   I know that I proposed an earlier release date for 2.35, but
>   there were some last minute issues that held things up and I
>   have not actually created the tarballs yet.  I think that these
>   have all been resolved now, so does anyone have any objections
>   to my making the release tomorrow - Friday Jul 24 ?

I've been looking at gold a little, due to porting the --power10-stubs
option across to gold.

Gold isn't in good shape when using modern gcc and glibc.  On
x86_64-linux I see lots of "unknown program property type 0xc0010001
in .note.gnu.property section" when attempting to build the
testsuite.

On powerpc64le-linux, I see quite a few segfaults with compilers that
default to PIE, one reason being that gold emits absolute symbols for
addresses in the executable, eg. __ehdr_start, that are not relocated
with a modern glibc.  Other errors with PIEs appear to be due to bugs
in powerpc.cc, eg. script_test_12 doesn't put a dynamic reloc on the
address of test_array_start.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM