[SeaBIOS] Re: recent ld built for x86_64 fails to accept 16bit code as input (seabios build)

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Jul 13 12:25:12 GMT 2020

Hi Fangrui,

> The opinion in my other message
> (https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2020-July/112283.html )
> stands. allowexec will not be a suitable option name.

Agreed - thinking on it some more, if we do implement this option
then a name like "allowall" or "allowany" might be better.

> For seabios and Linux 5.2 (this major release only), a linker warning
> should not hurt.
> In a future release of GNU ld, the warning can be upgraded to an error.

This seems like a good compromise to me.  I will add a patch to the 2.35
branch to change the error to a warning, along with a note that supporting
this kind of linking is likely to be deprecated in the future.