Support for alpha-osf, mips-irix

Rainer Orth ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Mon Jul 13 11:11:04 GMT 2020

Hi Alan,

> On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 04:21:54PM +0200, Rainer Orth wrote:
>> Every once in a while I come across references to Tru64 UNIX
>> (alpha*-dec-osf*)
>
> If you'd like to remove this config triple I think you could go ahead,
> but it doesn't buy us much really unless alpha-linuxecoff is also
> removed.  I'm unsure as to how much use alpha-linuxecoff gets these
> days.  Probably not much.  It looks like it was removed from gcc in
> 2002.

indeed, just like MIPS/ECOFF.  That's my point about those removals: if
there isn't a current version of GCC to support the targets, keeping
binutils support doesn't buy anyone a thing, not even the enthusiasts
that keep those machines alive.

One might include those targets in config.bfd's list of obsolete targets
on the 2.35 branch so potential remaining users get prominent notice
about the removal.  Than at some point during the 2.36 cycle they could
be removed unless someone steps up to do the maintenance.

	Rainer