.symver

Tom Kacvinsky tkacvins@gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 14:32:01 GMT 2020

Hi,

I am in the process of building some software were I inject .symver
instructions into the assembly generated by GCC, then assembly it.  What I
found is .symver actually inserts the symbol that is
referred to in the instruction into the object code, which causes problems
later down the road.  For example, there are some pthreads functions that
end up in object code used to build a shared
library, ones that can be resolved by linking in the pthreads library.
However, I don't want to link
in that library if I can avoid it.  Is there a way to tell the linker to
not use those symbols if they are
not used  in the generated object code?

Thanks,

Tom