[PATCH] readelf: Warn zero-sized relocation sections

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 10:01:21 GMT 2020


Hi Guys,

> Time to chime in?

Go ahead... :-)

> I'd like to voice my support for *not* have readelf emit an
> empty-section warning by default (whether a relocation section
> or not).  Nonetheless it would be very useful as a separate,
> non-default, option, say for generally fishy contents.
> 
> If it's added anyway, please also add an option to not emit the
> warning.

I have been thinking about this.  I was wondering what the best form 
of such an option would be.  I see three different possibilities:

  * Just warn about everything, and do not have an option.

  * Have a --enable-warnings option which is off by default
    and which disables *all* warnings unless enabled.
    This would mean changing the current behaviour of readelf...

  * Have a --enable-extra-warnings option which enables the zero
    sized section test but no others.  (For now - in the future
    I would envision us adding more tests).  For this path I
    think that it would also make sense to warn about any zero
    sized section that does not have the SHT_NOBITS type.

Or maybe:

  * Have a --enable-lint (or some such name) which enables testing
    for conformance to the ELF standard, (plus strangeness things
    like zero sized sections).  This would count as a command option
    in its own right, so that unless another option is provided
    then only the warning/error messages would be displayed.

What do people think ?

Cheers
  Nick




More information about the Binutils mailing list