GNU Binutils 2.33.1 has been released.

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Oct 14 10:44:00 GMT 2019


Hi Romain,

> I tested this new version using toolchain-builder project [1] and discovered
> some regressions on arm cortex-m4 and SH4 architectures.

> There is a segfault in elf2flt while building busybox:
> "ld (ld-elf2flt):
> /builds/kubu93/toolchains-builder/build/opt/armv7m--uclibc--bleeding-edge-2/arm-buildroot-uclinux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/elf2flt

Hmm, that is worrying, but I suppose that it could be a bug in
elf2flt rather than the binutils.  Maybe...

Is this problem specific to the ARM architecture ?  (Ie does elf2flt
work when compiled and run for other architecures ?)  If so, then I
would suspect a problem with the changes to the ARM specific code in
the BFD library, and I would probably ask one of the ARM regulars to
take a look.  (Hi Tamar...)

Are you able to find out where the segmentation fault is occurring ?
Is it inside the BFD library somewhere ?


> - sh4 [4]: (sh4, binutils 2.33.1, kernel headers 4.19.79, Glibc | uClibc-ng |
> musl, Qemu 3.1)
> 
> The system doesn't boot under Qemu.

*sigh* This one will probably be even harder to investigate.  Not being
familiar with Qemu, I do not what the best approach would be.  Can we get
it to tell us why the boot fails ?  Does it think that a binary is invalid
somehow ?

Cheers
  Nick



More information about the Binutils mailing list