Should strip discard the .ctf section ?

Nick Alcock nick.alcock@oracle.com
Tue Oct 8 18:29:00 GMT 2019


On 8 Oct 2019, Alan Modra told this:
> I'm with Michael and Nick on this.  If for no other reason than the
> people doing all the work implementing a large feature like this
> should get a lot more say than armchair critics.  (And yes, I count
> myself just an armchair critic regarding this issue.)

You are the linker maintainer and too damn helpful and knowledgeable to
be called an armchair critic, sorry. :)

(... and I do agree with Rich that making the .ctf section loadable in
the longer run is a good idea, though even then perhaps we want to make
it loadable only on platforms with MMUs, perhaps? Non-MMU platforms
probably won't want to spend the address space on this, since for them
address space really *is* memory, and libctf will work whether .ctf is
loadable or not. Maybe, perhaps?)



More information about the Binutils mailing list