[PATCH v2 5/9] x86: improve handling of insns with ambiguous operand sizes

Jan Beulich jbeulich@suse.com
Mon Nov 11 09:29:00 GMT 2019


On 08.11.2019 16:54,  H.J. Lu  wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:09 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:
>> On 07.11.2019 18:47,  H.J. Lu  wrote:
>>> I don't think DefaultSize matters for them either in AT&T syntax.
>>> and I don't think we should add DefaultSize to more instructions.
>>
>> Then _again_ - what is your alternative suggestion?
> 
> Don't add DefaultSize to more instructions.

So I think I've recalled meanwhile: The issue is with us not wanting
to issue diagnostics on e.g. LGDT despite it allowing multiple
operand sizes. Instead, just like for PUSH/POP etc we want to silently
default to the most appropriate operand size for the mode. Hence
adding DefaultSize seems very applicable to me here.

Jan



More information about the Binutils mailing list