LD_DEBUG=bindings shows resolution *via* the exe?

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Fri May 3 01:48:00 GMT 2019

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:00:31AM -0400, Brian Rossa wrote:
> I only find this for a handful of symbols, such as: __environ, __progname,
> __progname_full, __stack_chk_guard, optind, stderr, stdin, stdout
>
> What does this mean?

It means there is indeed a copy of the symbol in the executable.
Depending on your processor ABI and whether executable code is
compiled with -fPIC the linker may need to copy variables from a
shared library into the executable, in order to avoid dynamic text
relocations.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM