Difference in documentation vs implementation of R_X86_64_GOTPC32/64

Siva Chandra via binutils binutils@sourceware.org
Mon Mar 18 22:00:00 GMT 2019

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 2:05 PM H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/19, Siva Chandra via binutils <binutils@sourceware.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The documentation I have at hand for the x86_64 ABI says the
> > R_X86_64_GOTPC32/64 should be evaluated as:
> >
> > GOT + A - P
> >
> > where GOT is the address of the global offset table, A the addend, and
> > P the program counter. But, I notice that, the implementations
> > actually interpret GOT as the address of .got.plt.
> >
> > Also, it seems to me that a similar interpretation is also applied to
> > R_X86_64_GOTOFF64, R_386_GOTPC and R_386_GOTOFF.
> >
> > Is there any reason why GOT is interpreted to be the address of
> > .got.plt? Or, is it a defect in the documentation?
>
> In 5.2 Dynamic Linking, there are
>
> The symbol _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ may reside in the middle of the .got section,
> allowing both negative and non-negative offsets into the array of addresses.

So, if I understand you correctly:

1. GOT is different from .got.
2. GOT is in .got, but not necessarily at the at the beginning of .got.
3. First entry in the GOT is _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_.

So, how does one view what .got.plt is?

Thanks,
Siva Chandra