[RFC] Allow linker scripts to specify multiple output regions for an output section?

Christophe Lyon christophe.lyon@linaro.org
Thu Jun 27 12:58:00 GMT 2019

Hi!

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 at 15:35, Erik Christiansen <dvalin@internode.on.net> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Just wanted to give you the latest on this. Unfortunately, I have suspended
> > working on this feature for the foreseeable future owing to a shift in
> > priorities. Will update if there is a change in circumstances.
>
> Ah, pity, but life is the art of the possible, not the ideal.
> Will look forward to hearing of any resumption, should it occur.

We have received requests to support non-contiguous memory regions in
the BFD linker, so it seems it is time to resurrect this thread :-)

IIUC, Erik made a proposal that seems simpler to implement than the
initial one in
https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2017-03/msg00020.html

Tejas, on your side, do you have any news about this project? (ideally
in terms of implementation, but updated specs would be good too)

Thanks,

Christophe