Alternate character for dollar sign in $ORIGIN?

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Wed Jun 5 04:20:00 GMT 2019

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Here are some datapoints, if interested.
>
> Most of the time I can use $ORIGIN/../lib with the following. It
> passes through Autotools/Bash/Makefile chain as expected:
>
>     RPATH="'""\$\$ORIGIN/../lib""'"
>     LDFLAGS="... -Wl,-rpath,$RPATH"
>
> About 1 in 4 fail, however. Those that fail seem to do extra escaping
> in the Autotools/Bash/Makefile chain and it results in:
>
>     $ objdump -p <some prog>
>     NEEDED    RIGIN/../lib
>
> One of the failures is OpenLDAP.
>
> Jeff

Perhaps a response-file be used for that case, with the
"-Wl,-rpath,$RPATH" option put in that file?  An extra step, but
simpler than adding a linker char-replace feature.

For the curious, "response-file" is the funny name for that
@FILENAME feature, where FILENAME specifies a file
with...options.  Implemented in gcc as well as ld, but old
enough now that people appears to have forgotten about it.

brgds, H-P