RFC: Add initial support for .NET Core dlls to objdump

Omair Majid omajid@redhat.com
Tue Jul 23 14:23:00 GMT 2019

Hi Nick,

Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> writes:

>   Thanks for the revised patch.  I have now checked it in

Thanks for checking it in! I was expecting a few more rounds of patches,
so this was a *very* nice surprise!

>   although
>   I did have to make a couple of changes:  The binutils test now copes
>   with targets which do not recognise the PE file format

This might be a stupid question, but how does the test deal with
regressions in dll parsing? It seems to me like the test would pass even
if objudmp can't parse System.Runtime.dll. The "file format not
recognized" is the same error that a objdump built without the fix
prints out:

$ objdump -x /usr/lib64/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/2.1.12/System.Runtime.dll
objdump: /usr/lib64/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/2.1.12/System.Runtime.dll: file format not recognized

>   and the
>   additions to the header files will now work on targets which only
>   support 32-bit PE format files.

Ah, thank you. Is there a way I can discover this myself (for next
time)? Would ./configure --enable-targets=all flag this for me?

> PS.  I also created some changelog entries for you:

Apologies. I was expecting a few more rounds of patches so I figured I
could be a bit sloppy and skip this. Sorry.

Regards,
Omair

--
PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108  E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0