implementing ifunc support

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 15:26:00 GMT 2019

On 7/8/19 11:15 AM, Jason Duerstock wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to implement ifunc support for ia64, but
> I was wondering if there was a more general guide on how to do it.

There is no general "guide" to implementing IFUNC support.

You need gcc, binutils, and gcc support to implement this.

You have lots of examples to read and copy.

> Are the functions in bfd/elf-ifunc.c generic enough to be called from
> other platforms, or is it especially platform-dependent?

Generally speaking bfd/elf-ifunc.c *may* be enough, but if ia64,
which has OPDs, needs any odd processing for PLT vs. OPD entries,
then you may find yourself writing some custom code or helping
extend the generic code in some way with a hook.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.