Redefining dynamic symbols

Ted Lyngmo ted@lyncon.se
Wed Jan 30 13:35:00 GMT 2019

Hi!

As far as I know, redefining dynamic symbols (in .so files: "ELF 64-bit
LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not
stripped") can't be done with the tools in binutils (for example using
"objcopy --redefine-sym ..." directly or in combination with other
binutil tools).

Is this limitation documented somewhere? If not, can someone who's been
involved in the development please shed some light on this? Am I correct
in my assumption that it can't be done?

Bonus for giving some hints of the obstacles one would face trying to
implement this feature :-)

Kind regards,
Ted Lyngmo