PDOS/386 port

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 11:33:00 GMT 2019

Hi Paul,

> I am using binutils 2.14a with a target
> of i386-aout.

This is a *very* old version of the binutils.  I would definitely
recommend that you try a newer version.  Normally I would recommend
the latest release of the binutils (2.31.1) but the i386-aout target
is deprecated in these sources.  I think that you should find that
the 2.27 release will work however, and so I would suggest you give
it a try.

> : BFD 2.14 20030612 assertion fail bfd/aoutx.h:4933
> : BFD 2.14 20030612 internal error, aborting at bfd/reloc.c line 444 in bfd_get_
> reloc_size
>
> : Please report this bug.
>
> The bug is almost certainly not in binutils,
> but I don’t know what call is going wrong.

Actually it probably is a binutils bug.  Most likely the assembler
being generated by gcc is too "new" for the 2.14 linker...

Unfortunately since the i386-aout target is now deprecated in the
binutils we are not going to be able to provide you with a lot of
help, but do feel free to ask questions on this list.  You never
know there may be other people out there who are doing something
similar.