[Patch] [binutils][testsuite] Allow multiple lines of "as" in testsuite.

Matthew Malcomson Matthew.Malcomson@arm.com
Thu Feb 21 18:46:00 GMT 2019

On 21/02/19 15:49, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
>> Great, would the attached extra comments be OK?
>
> In theory yes.  In practice no.  Actually it is not the extra comments
> that are the problem, but the original patch.  Now that I have tested
> it locally, I found that it introduces some new testsuite failures. :-(
>
> For example:
>
> Checking Binutils in: s390-linux ... GAS REGRESSION: s390x opcode
>
> Checking Binutils in: mips64-linux ... LD REGRESSION: ld-mips-elf/no-shared-1-n64
>    LD REGRESSION: MIPS ELF got reloc n64
>    LD REGRESSION: MIPS ELF xgot reloc n64
>    LD REGRESSION: MIPS rel32 o32
>    LD REGRESSION: MIPS rel64 n64
>    LD REGRESSION: PIC and non-PIC test 3
>    LD REGRESSION: PIC and non-PIC test 4
>
> (These failures also show up when testing a toolchain configured with
>   mipsel-linux-gnu and also with mipsisa32el-linux-gnu).
>
> The worst affected toolchain however is the PowerPC:
>
>   powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0 ... LD ERROR: powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0-readelf does not exist
>    LD REGRESSION: --gc-sections -r without -e
>    LD ERROR: powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0-as does not exist
>    LD ERROR: /work/sources/binutils/current/ld/testsuite/ld-libs/lib-1.s: assembly failed
>    LD ERROR: powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0-as does not exist
>    LD ERROR: /work/sources/binutils/current/ld/testsuite/ld-libs/lib-2.s: assembly failed
>    LD ERROR: powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0-as does not exist
>    LD ERROR: /work/sources/binutils/current/ld/testsuite/ld-misc/start.s: assembly failed
>    LD ERROR: powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0-as does not exist
>    [...and so on, there are lots more like this...]
>
> Please could you have a look at these.  I suspect that the S390 and MIPS failures
> might be due to a variable being set by a previous test which is not cleared before
> the failing test runs.  (But this is just a guess).  The PowerPC ones all appear to
> be because the new code is not checking for the presence of a locally built assembler
> rather than one installed into the execution path.  But again that is just off the
> top of my head.
>
> Cheers
>    Nick

Thanks for catching that -- I didn't think to look into other
configurations (oops!)

It looks like the problem for the mips toolchains was due to me not
handling multiple extra "as" flags passed directly in the TCL function,
and this is an easy fix.

I'm having trouble reproducing the PowerPC errors, what was the target
triple?
You mentioned it might be a problem with choosing which assembler to use
-- does that mean you have one on the execution pass?

I've attached the patch with the fix for the mips toolchains, hopefully
that would fix the PowerPC problems, but I'll have a harder look at
reproducing the PowerPC problems tomorrow.

Cheers,
Matthew