RFC: Is it OK to disassemble instructions twice ?

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Aug 20 16:30:00 GMT 2019

Hi Guys,

  I am attaching a revised version of my original patch.  In this
  version I have added a new field to the bfd_arch_info structure
  which specifies the maximum offset a reloc can have from the start
  of the instruction to which it applies.  If this value is greater
  than zero then objdump will use the double disassembly trick when
  there is a possibility that a reloc might need to be applied to
  the current instruction.  This means for architectures where
  the max-reloc-offset field is zero there will be no double
  disassembly.

  Eagle eyed patch reviewers may note that I have set the max-
  reloc-offset field to zero for *all* targets.  This is because
  I have not found any targets that actually seem to need it.
  But it is probable that I have missed something, and besides
  the code to check for potential middle-of-instruction-relocs
  must have been added to objdump for a reason.  So I feel that
  it is likely that a need will turn up in the future.

  One final point - I would like to delay committing the patch
  until after the 2.33 branch is cut, just because it does make
  changes to every target and that is always a potential point
  for introducing new bugs.  Plus it means that there is more
  time for people to make comments on the patch, if they want to.