output file specifier ?

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Aug 7 14:35:00 GMT 2019

Hi Bill,

> Is there some reason that the binutils that generate copious stdout output
> (nm and objdump, in particular) don't have a command-line option to specify
> an output file (other than stdout)?

Not in particular no.  Before now no-one has requested such a feature.
Obviously redirecting via a shell's command line syntax is the intended
way to handle this problem.

If you wish to develop a patch to implement such a feature then by all
means do submit it for review.  But I am afraid that personally I do
not have time to work on such a project myself.