PT_NOTE alignment, NT_GNU_PROPERTY_TYPE_0, glibc and gold

Michael Matz matz@suse.de
Fri Sep 21 12:55:00 GMT 2018

Hi,

(didn't take part in the side meeting, so sorry if this was discussed)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Distributions have built binaries with 8-byte-aligned GNU property
> notes.

Which ones?  I know that we (SUSE) avoided CET-marked binaries for the
reason we are in the current predicament.  I.e. is that _really_ a problem
at all (or a large one)?

Thing is, there are also binaries (or there could be) that are currently
"valid" that the align-8 approach makes invalid, so why say that's a
problem for the align-4 approach, but not for the align-8 one?

> (1) makes existing binaries invalid, and there was general agreement
> that this is a bad idea.  It also fails to support notes with relocation
> on ELFCLASS64 strict-alignment targets.

Ciao,
Michael.