RFC: Add GNU_PROPERTY_NEED_PHDRS

Michael Matz matz@suse.de
Tue Oct 2 15:48:00 GMT 2018

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > > If linker script discards a section, all bets are off.  Anything can
> > > happen.
> >
> > I disagree, but even if I'd agree your solution still is more
> > accidental than by design.  You want to guarantee something about
> > program headers, so any solution that doesn't do anything specific
> > about/with program headers is similarly accidental.
>
> Nothing is guaranteed when linker script is used since anything can
> happen with linker script.

Ignore the parts about the linker script, I disagree with you, but that's
immaterial to my main point.  Your solution still is only an accidental
one as you don't do anything about program headers but instead just add
magic sections to magic places that happens to do what you want currently.
That's not by design.

Ciao,
Michael.