[RFC] Hide autogenerated symbols when linking shared libraries
Maksim Kozlov
maksim.e.kozlov@gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:52:00 GMT 2018
>
>
> > Do you have any particular uses in mind? I tried grepping glibc,
> > binutils-gdb or libgcc for bss_start but couldn't find anything which
> > would justify them having default visibility...
>
> Not really - I was just speaking in generalities. It may well turn out
> that for, say x86_64 Linux based systems, these symbols are not needed.
> But I would be very wary of removing them without a lot of testing first
> as this is exactly the kind of thing that can break systems in unexpected,
> and unanticipated ways.
>
>
Hi all,
I'm not expert in this area, and I hope I understand right what you are
talking about. I can say that these symbols are widely used in Linux
kernel, RTEMS system and Newlib C library. Yuri, you can try to do grep on
sources of these projects to see if this is what you are talking about.
Also, from my personal experience I can add that these symbols are widely
used in many "selfmade" bare-metal embedded systems.
Hope this is relevant information.
--
Best regards,
Maksim Kozlov
More information about the Binutils
mailing list