Setting a date for the 2.31 branch

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@mips.com
Fri Jun 22 12:29:00 GMT 2018

Hi Nick,

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> >   How would this fit in with your plans ?  A branch on the 23rd would
> >   give us another week to add in any new features that we want in the
> >   2.31 release.  This is not a lot of time, I know, but I do not think
> >   that there are big changes currently in the pipeline.  Are there ?
>
>  FYI, I'd like to have PR ld/21375 fixed in 2.31, however I think I'll
> have plenty of time to make it without asking for a delay.

 I have removed the 2.31 milestone from PR ld/21375 and PR/21805 and I
won't be including fixes (both of which I have almost ready, only test
cases are missing) in the upcoming 2.31 release.

 The reason is in the course of PR ld/21375 fix verification I have
stumbled across a glibc dynamic loader bug, now glibc BZ #23307, in the
course of the fix of which I concluded a libc ABI bump is required,
marking (proper) absolute symbol support a new feature.  Given that the
PR ld/21375 fix relies on it, we need at least one released glibc
version to be available before we can include the fix in our release.

 And the upcoming glibc release 2.28 is scheduled Aug 1st, which means
we can only include it in our 2.32 release expected to happen early next
year.  There is only as little time left before glibc sources have
become frozen for the 2.28 release as until the end of Jun, however I do
hope the fix for BZ #23307 makes it as I have already posted it for
review and it's straightforward.  The only real issue with it I can
imagine is to decide whether the ABI bump is justified or not.

 This means I have no specific plans for the upcoming 2.31 release and
I'm happy with you branching the tree tomorrow.  I'll continue pushing
other outstanding fixes of course, but I don't think any of them is
critical enough to have it included in 2.31.

 BTW, can you or someone else please add a 2.32 milestone to our
bugzilla, which is something I have no permission to do myself?  I want
these two bugs to target 2.32 and actually push fixes to master as soon
as 2.31 has branched (obviously not before the glibc side has been
accepted though).

  Maciej