[PATCH, RX] Add target rx-*-linux
Oleg Endo
oleg.endo@t-online.de
Tue Jul 31 16:01:00 GMT 2018
Hi,
On Tue, 2018-07-31 at 10:39 +0900, Yoshinori Sato wrote:
>Â
> It standrad linux kernel.
>
> My target is RX62N + 16MByte external memory.
> I think that connecting with a 32 bit bus is not so slow.
The latest RX71/RX65 support 60 MHz 32 bit data external SDRAM. Â On top
of that, there is no instruction/data cache for external SDRAM. Â The
system was not designed to operate like that. Â The primary use case for
RX is to run code from on-chip flash and use on-chip RAM as application
data. Â Every individual access to external memory by the CPU costs
about 3 bus cycles, from what I can see in the hardware manual...
> Also, since the code size is small, I think the influence of memory
> speed is relaxed.
Even if all the Linux + user application code fits into the on-chip
flash ROM, the problem will be the CPU accessing data in external
memory without cache. Â That's why I don't think it's practical to run
Linux on RX MCUs.  It will run, but  there are better embedded Linux
options for the same or lower price as RX MCUs. Â So I'm not sure how
useful this will be?
>
> I think that it is 10% smaller than other CPUs.
> yo-satoh@yo-satoh-debian:~/linux (rx)$ rx-unknown-linux-size vmlinux
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex
> filename
> Â 801156 Â Â 68556 Â 164568 1034280 Â Â fc828
> vmlinux
My observation similar. RX ISA produces slightly smaller code than
other ISAs. Â But not that much smaller to compensate the slow external
memory :)
Just for my understanding, why is it needed to create a new ELF type
for that? Â Why can't rx-elf be used as-is?
Cheers,
Oleg
More information about the Binutils
mailing list