Gold Linker Patch: Introduce the "retpoline" x86 mitigation technique for variant #2 of the speculative execution vulnerabilities disclosed today, specifically identified by CVE-2017-5715 and in some places called "spectre".

Sriraman Tallam via binutils binutils@sourceware.org
Mon Jan 8 21:06:00 GMT 2018

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 12:23 PM, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>       * One other pain point is we do have internally is we use a
>> configuration for tests where we build a number of shared objects and
>> keep the main binary pretty thin.  We have explicitly disabled now
>> binding for this due to performance reasons, huge increase in the
>> number of dynamic relocations putting unacceptable overheads on our
>> distributed build system.  We need to find a solution here.
>
> Why do unittests need to be fully secured from attack?

I was thinking along the lines of keeping the same options for the
tests that are used to build the release binary.