Targetting S12Z

John Darrington john@darrington.wattle.id.au
Sun Jan 7 07:55:00 GMT 2018

Hello Utility Binners,

I needed an assembler/disassembler for the NXP (formerly Freescale) S12Z CPU
but it seems that binutils doesn't target that processor.  It does however have
a MCHC12 and S12X which are vaguely similar.

The S12Z instruction set has passing resemblence to its ancestors, viz:
68HC12, HCS12, HCS12X, but has a 24 bit linear address space and its register
configuration is somewhat different.

So I started patching the current HEAD ...

The work is not complete, and undoubtably needs effort to make it fit into
the binutils coding standards etc.   I am prepared to put in the necessary
effort to do this.  But first I wanted to :

1.  Find out the likelihood of such a patch being accepted into binutils.

2.  Make sure that nobody was already working on this, so as to avoid
    duplicating effort.

Maybe somebody could advise me on points 1 and 2 above.

I'm also attaching what I've done so far, in case anyone is interested in looking.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3