ld error/warning messages

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 04:52:00 GMT 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 04:24:22PM -0800, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> It looks like the important difference is 'In function' (capital I) vs.
> 'in function' (lowercase i).  That is why this line is no longer
> getting pruned the way it did before.
>
> We could get the GCC testsuite to prune this line with a change
> to prune_gcc_output in gcc/testsuite/lib/prune.exp but I am not
> sure if that is what we want to do or if you meant to use a capital
> I in this case and the lower case i is a bug.

See https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Errors
"The string message should not begin with a capital letter when it
follows a program name and/or file name.."

So yes, I meant to use the lower case "in function".  Adding the
program name for ld was deliberate too.

Hmm.
// Ignore additional messages on Linux/x86 with PIE
// { dg-prune-output "Bad value" } */
That one is not going to match either.

--
Alan Modra