RFC: x86: Enable -z separate-code by default

Michael Matz matz@suse.de
Thu Feb 22 13:22:00 GMT 2018

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, H.J. Lu wrote:

> >> Meh :-( Have you done any performance measurements on, say, SPECcpu?
> >
> > We will.
>
> We compared SPEC CPU 2017 performance before and after this change on
> Skylake server.  There are no any significant performance changes.
> Everything is mostly below +/-1%.

Thanks, seems fine.

> >> Yes, definitely.  For old distros at least I definitely want to retain old
> >> behaviour by default and a configure switch would make that easier.
> >
> > Will do.
> >

> Here is the patch to add --enable-separate-code to ld configure and
> enable it by default for Linux/x86.  But the default maximum page size
> is changed to 4KB for x86-64.
>
> Any comments?

Should the max page size setting (without override on cmdline) depend on
separate-code, or not?  I'm split minds here, I'm worried that the 2mb
page size optimization we had for x86-64 isn't effective by default, but
OTOH it already isn't since relro, so can't be that bad either, plus the
kernel is of course free to use 2mb TLB entries when in the end the
moons^Waddresses happen to be aligned right.

Ciao,
Michael.