RFA/RFC: Add stack recursion limit to libiberty's demangler
Nick Clifton
nickc@redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 14:53:00 GMT 2018
Hi Cary,
> In order to handle arbitrary user input without crashing, perhaps the
> demangler should switch from recursive descent parsing to a state
> machine, where exhaustion of resources can be handled gracefully.
I think that that would be a better long term fix for the problem,
but it is not one that I have time to work on right now.
My main goal with this patch submission is to stop the flood of PR
and CVEs about mangled inputs that trigger stack exhaustion. Being
able to properly demangle such inputs would be nice, but not something
that I think should be a priority. I think that in real life no
program is ever going to generate a mangled name that is sufficiently
complex to trigger a seg-fault this way, so the only real purpose of
the patch is to resolve these PRs and stop more from being filed.
Cheers
Nick
More information about the Binutils
mailing list