Recent removal of a.out and COFF support for sparc

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 13:35:00 GMT 2018

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 11:59:22AM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Alan,
>
> > > So, can we have COFF/a.out support back, at least for sparc*?
> >
> > I would rather remove all AOUT support.  AOUT as a format has been
> > obsolete since the advent of ELF in the 1990s.  See for example
> > J. Arnold "ELF: An Object File to Mitigate Mischievous Misoneism", In
> > Proc. of the Summer USENIX Conference, 1990.
> > COFF should have died too..
> >
> > The sparc target obsolescence happened here:
> > https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2016-09/msg00184.html
> >
> > You've had quite a bit of warning, but I guess you just built binutils
> > with --enable-obsolete, or stayed with older binutils.  Well, older
> > binutils are likely to be better for AOUT anyway.  So what's to
> > prevent you using older binutils for sparc-aout?
>
>  I don't like things being put that way and I find it against the spirit
> of free software and its mission to deliver superior solutions that do not
> put unnecessary limits upon users.  If people have a need for a feature,
> then I think it is the wrong thing to refuse it from the position of
> authority given that code for that exists.

I'm grumpy, but the advice about using older binutils for unmaintained
ports is good.  I'm also not against reinstating sparc-aout if
someone maintains it, but doubt there is anyone wanting to do the
work.

"git log bfd/aoutx.h" if you want an illustration of points I make in
my other reply on this thread.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM