Silence gcc-8 warnings

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 02:59:00 GMT 2018

On 04/25/2018 10:43 PM, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 07:57:22AM -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Two comments here:
>>
>> * The FSF version of gcc should be identified here in an easy to understand way.
>> * Consider abstracting away some of the verbose GCC_VERSION checking behind
>>   some helper macros.
>
> I'll support these ideas if/when binutils has more than a few instances
> where we need to modify gcc diagnostics.  We have just two at the
> moment (and two more in files generated by bison so those don't
> count).

Mentioning the gcc version, like you did in the second version of
the patch is very useful for future developers wanting to cleanup
and remove old pragmas in the future when gcc 8 is no longer supported.
It's a good habit regardless of the project or number of warnings.

But overall you're right, you don't have enough of these that it's that
much of a problem.

Again, more of a comment, than any direct review :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos.