meaning of "Automatic date update in version.in" commits

Petr Ovtchenkov ptr@void-ptr.info
Thu Sep 21 10:58:00 GMT 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 01:42:28 -0700
Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Fiodar Stryzhniou via gdb
> <gdb@sourceware.org> wrote:
> > I propose set date with git hook. With every commit create bfd/version.in before commit and
> > vice versa.
>
> Hmm, I don't know much about git hooks per se, but I didn't think e.g.
> server side hooks could filter on commit?
> Anyhow, I see 2 options, assuming there are some list of requirements
> for when git is required:
> compile time? no
> configure time? (C.)
> autoreconf time? n/a
> checkout time? always (A.)
> commit time? always (B.)

Date is worst thing that you may use in SONAME. Especially in conjunction
with attempts to use DVCS as date source. (D == _Distributed_, so _no
time ordering_). And I should repeat:

  - from datestamps equality not follow ABI compatibility,
  - from datestamps inequality not follow ABI incompatibility.

What you want achieve with SONAME variations?