version control policy

Petr Ovtchenkov ptr@void-ptr.info
Mon Mar 13 05:41:00 GMT 2017

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 20:48:08 -0500
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > Branches are created from master.
> >
> > Do you really see on commits graph?
>
> sorry, but what does this mean ?
>
> > Because binutils and gdb share repo and build infrastructure,
> > but has no clean code exchange between gdb/binutils branches,
> > what gdb will build when I make build from, say, e2e9a61f5b29 ?
>
> both projects share the master branch, and it's up to each project
> to choose when to branch based on their own release schedule.
>
> giving a random commit doesn't make much sense in the git world.
> what branch are you looking at ?

> > > Published releases are created from branches.  Usually, there is also a tag on the commit for
> > > the release.
> >
> > Well, gdb team set labels. Looks, that binutils team prefer branches instead.
>
> there's no such thing as "labels" in git.  Tristan is correct:
> both projects create release branches, and then they tag their
> releases from those branches when they're ready.
>
> > And both teams push to master on daily development basis, right?
>
> correct
> -mike

Hmm, you have sheer talent to give trivial answers and just cut off some
(inconvenient?) questions.

Let's repeat:

   Is bot's commits (like 40d57b1947) really useful?

I see problems from ones, but not understand benefit.
Can you explain advantage of bot's commits that outweigh garbage in the commit tree?

The second question was (release numbers are mentioned below as example only):

  I want to build binutils 2.28 _and_ gdb 7.12.1 from primary git repo.
  What branch(s), tag(s), ... I should use? If commits points of gdb release
  and binutils release are different, what I should say to build
     - binutils without gdb
       (i.e. --disable-gdb --disable-libdecnumber --disable-readline --disable-sim)
     - gdb without binutils
       (?)

The solution of this problem isn't clear for me, becouse I'm unsure that one installation
will not partially overwrite another.

Thanks,

--

   - ptr