Plan for release 2.29

Antonio Diaz Diaz antonio@gnu.org
Mon Jul 31 22:07:00 GMT 2017


Jeff Law wrote:
>> [1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2017-06/msg00042.html
>> "And just to be clear, I actually don't like xz and I'm always annoyed
>> when I run into something delivered in xz format.  But xz support at the
>> distro level is pretty ubiquitous at this point."
> That's a quote from me.  Please do not use it as a means to promote lzip
> as it was never meant to be used in that manner.

Please, forgive me if I gave the impression that I was promoting lzip. 
My intention was to warn binutils maintainers that the xz format is 
defective (or, if you prefer, poorly designed). I just offered lzip as 
an alternative, but I find perfectly fine for binutils to continue 
releasing gz and bz2 tarballs indefinitely and not use xz or lzip.


Best regards,
Antonio.



More information about the Binutils mailing list