can't push to binutils-gdb, git-hooks rejecting commits

Pedro Alves palves@redhat.com
Tue Aug 22 15:28:00 GMT 2017

On 08/22/2017 04:22 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:
>> Hi Pedro,
>>
>>> I'm trying to push a patch to master, but it's getting rejected by the
>>> server-side git hooks.  Anyone else seeing the same?  See below.
>>>
>>> Repeating that big "git rev-list" command below locally shows:
>>>
>>>   fatal: bad revision '^refs/heads/users/hjl/pr17709'
>>>
>>> That branch doesn't appear to exist anymore.   Sounds like the hooks
>>> need to run "git remote prune origin" on their clone?  Does that make
>>> sense?
>>
>> For me, I get a different error message, but in the same vein:
>>
>>     fatal: bad revision '^refs/heads/users/hjl/gpoff'
>>
>> I think it's related to the disk corruption. If the branch stopped
>> existing, git should have removed the associated reference.
>>

> I deleted the old users/hjl/gpoff and pushed a new one.

Eh, that worked, thanks.  I managed to push to master now.
I had thought of trying something like that, but assumed that
the hooks would reject pushing that too.

Funny that you didn't need to create users/hjl/pr17709.

Might still be a good idea to run "git fsck" on the server,
though.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves