new ELF marking

Kees Cook via binutils binutils@sourceware.org
Wed Aug 9 18:52:00 GMT 2017

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 11:46 AM, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Kees Cook <keescook@google.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:16 AM, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why don't you use  NT_GNU_PROPERTY_TYPE_0?
>>
>> Ah, interesting. I hadn't seen this before. Docs I found were:
>> https://github.com/hjl-tools/linux-abi/commit/a24f6898c4172e09b2e476ae9f160621528a1d92
>>
>>  \item[pr_datasz] The size of the \code{pr_data} field.  A 4-byte
>>    integer in the format of the target processor.
>>  \item[pr_data] The program property descriptor.  An array of 4-byte
>>    integers in 32-bit object or 8-byte integers in 64-bit objects, in
>>    the format of the target processor.
>>
>> Is pr_data length always a multiple of 4 (or 8)? I found this language
>
> Yes.
>
>> confusing, given that pr_datasz doesn't mention this.

Why does pr_padding exist if pr_data is always the correct multiple already?

>> Also, given the definition, should the kernel examine these, or should
>> it remain limited to the runtimer loader?
>
> Both kernel and run-time loaders should check it.  I am working on
> static PIE, which is loaded by kernel.

What kernel-support is needed for static PIE?

>> If the kernel should, would it be better to add
>> GNU_PROPERTY_EXEC_FLAGS, for future bits, or should it be something
>> like GNU_PROPERTY_NO_COPY_ON_PROTECTED with a pr_datasz == 0?
>
> Please use bits.

Okay.

> Is this an output only bit?  Will it appear in an input file?

I believe this would only be an output bit, but I'm not sure how it
would be wired into binutils. Kostya, do you know any details about
how AddressSanitizer might be able to create this ELF note?

>> (And should the kernel already be parsing GNU_PROPERTY_STACK_SIZE?)
>
> Kernel should.

Have there been patches proposed for this yet?

Thanks!

-Kees

--
Kees Cook