ELF and Linking for heterogeneous multicore embedded systems

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Fri Aug 4 18:59:00 GMT 2017

On 08/04/2017 06:21 AM, Martin J. O'Riordan wrote:
> How do other people address these kinds of issues for their multicore
> systems, homogeneous or heterogeneous?

There are no elegant solutions because there has been no real need.

Today the biggest drivers are:

* CPU / FPGA combinations.

* CPU / GPU combinations.

They are all usually proprietary and use a single ELF binary with embedded
data in specially named sections.

The notion of a multi-arch ELF binary doesn't exist, and relocation
numbers overlap between architectures, so you would really really need
to find a way to isolate the architecture components.

Your only option is probably FatELF [1], and it would be nice if we saw
more universal acceptance of something like that.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

[1] https://icculus.org/fatelf/