Deprecating and removing old targets

Pedro Alves palves@redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 13:21:00 GMT 2016

On 09/13/2016 02:04 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Sep 13, 2016, at 6:07 AM, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/12/2016 08:37 AM, Tristan Gingold wrote:

>>> * all a.out targets
>>
>> I posted a gdb patch to drop all a.out support from GDB a
>> while ago.  I had forgotten about it meanwhile.  I'll dig it
>> up and see about pushing it to master soon.
>
> Binutils and gdb have similar target sets, but they aren't identical.  For example, pdp11 isn't a gdb target but is a binutils and gcc target.

Yup.

The thing is that if we remove support for some port from binutils,
then we need to remove it from gdb too, because gdb uses bfd, etc.,
as you know, otherwise, it's possible that an --enable-targets=all
build breaks.

Or seen from the other angle, if we don't want to remove it
from gdb, then we need to keep it in bfd too, etc.  (Not that
I expect that)

So for a.out in particular, I was implying that while gdb still includes
some support for a.out, it's already scheduled for deletion, so that
shouldn't be a blocker.  I should have been more explicit,
sorry about that.

To be clear, I'm all for removal of old unused ports.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves