[C++/78252] libiberty demangler crash with lambda (auto)

Nathan Sidwell nathan@acm.org
Wed Nov 30 19:06:00 GMT 2016

This patch fixes a problem in libiberty's symbol demangler.  With a
templated forwarding function such as std::forward, we can end up
emitting mangled function names that encode lambda information.  Lambdas
with auto argument types have a synthesized templated operator(), and
g++ uses that when mangling the lambda.

Unfortunately g++ doesn't notice the template parameters there mean
'auto' and emits regular template parameter references. (This is a bug,
see below.)

But, as the forwarding function itself is a template, and the lambda is
part of a template parameter substitution, we can end up with the
demangler recursing unboundedly.  In other cases we can fail to demangle
(returning null), or demangle to an unexpected type (substituting the
current template parameter type into the place of the 'auto').

This patch fixes the demangler by noting when it's printing the argument
types of a lambda.  In that case whenever we encounter a template
parameter reference we emit 'auto', and also inhibit some &/&& smushing
that needs checking.  AFAICT, once inside a lambda argument list we
cannot encounter template parameter references that actually refer to an
enclosing template argument list. That means we don't have the problem
of disabling this additional check within the argument list printing.  I
don't think we can meet a nested lambda type either, but the ++...--
idiom seemed safer to me.

We cannot do this substitution when parsing the mangled name, because
g++ applies the usual squangling back references as-if there really was
a template parameter reference.  Later squangling references to the type
containing the lambda argument may or may not require the reference to
be to an enclosing template argument, or be auto, depending on the
context of the squangle reference.

I've also included a c++ testcase to check the mangling of the lambdas
that cause this.  While this is a g++ bug, it's an ABI-affecting one,
and we shouldn't change the behaviour unintentionally.  I've not
investigated why the mangler's failing to check is_auto, and will look
at that later.  I imagine a fix will be -fabi-version dependent. I have
filed 78621 to track it.

ok?

Nick, we originally found this when GDB exploded. If you're ok with it,
I'll commit to binutils/gdb when approved for gcc.

nathan
--
Nathan Sidwell