.hidden overrides .symver?

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 11:47:00 GMT 2016

On 11/21/2016 05:01 AM, Alan Modra wrote:

> So yes, a mere reference with hidden visibility must result in the
> final linked symbol being hidden (or internal if other refs/defs are
> internal), and hidden symbols must be converted to local or removed.

Thanks for confirming that this is expected behavior.  I think we should
clarify this in the GCC documentation (and we have to clean up a few
bits in the glibc documentation).

Would it be possible to add an ld warning if a hidden reference makes a
previously public symbol non-exported?

Thanks,
Florian