[PATCH 2/2] LD/testsuite: Expand STB_GNU_UNIQUE test coverage
Maciej W. Rozycki
macro@imgtec.com
Fri May 6 17:16:00 GMT 2016
Hi Nick,
> > So does anybody actually know why the current per-architecture approach
> > was accepted in the review?
>
> No. My guess is that it was not thought through properly. Possibly a
> developer wanted it for their architecture, but did not consider the impact
> on other architectures. So their patch went in for their architecture and
> the feature proved to be useful. Then users for other architectures (probably
> kernel and library builders) decided that they wanted it too, and so a
> piecemeal set of hacks were added to accommodate them. Just a guess mind...
Thank you for your confirmation, I suspected this might have been the
case.
> > If not then I'll post a proposal separately to gather all the bits
> > scattered across target `*_add_symbol_hook' handlers and handle this
> > feature in `elf_link_add_object_symbols'.
>
> Please do.
I've got the test suite part done already, so I'll update code and post
the two changes together. I think it'll be the best if the code update
goes in first or both are a single change, so as not to cause regressions
which might break bisection.
Maciej
More information about the Binutils
mailing list