Difference between --oformat binary, and objcopy -O binary of --oformat elf32-i386

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:47:00 GMT 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 05:54:38PM +0530, linuxyne citadel wrote:
> The errors, to which I referred in my previous email, are related to
> the PIE addressing using GOT.

This is not surprising.  When you use --oformat binary, you're using
a generic linker backend rather than the x86 specific ELF linker.  The
generic linker doesn't know how to handle GOT relocs, and a lot of
other cases.

HJ, it would be nice if x86 implemented something like elf32-ppc.c
ppc_elf_unhandled_reloc to give an error at link time for all the
relocs that the generic linker can't handle.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM